I wasn’t sure whether I’d ever end up working on the ModernMUD project again. Turns out that the answer is yes. Today I added four sample zones, a bunch of spells, and a sample help file to the open source project on GitHub. It’s available here: https://github.com/Xangis/ModernMUD.
I ran a blog for about seven years at basternae.org. It was almost entirely about Basternae MUD and the evolution of the ModernMUD codebase, but also included a lot of general programming-related entries. I’ve imported all of the previous posts from that blog for the sake of preserving history, though many of them will no […]
If you have any interest in working with the Basternae code as it is today, fork the repository on Github: https://github.com/Xangis/ModernMUD Good luck and happy travels, Xangis
The zone editor’s documentation is fairly sparse, but at least it’s available on the web now: http://basternae.org/ModernMUDEditor/index.htm
For this build, version 0.59, the name has been changed from “Basternae Editor” to “ModernMUD Editor”. This is because I’m in the process of open-sourcing the codebase, and the editor will work not only for Basternae, but any MUD based on the same codebase. Other than the name change, there are a few stability fixes, […]
I love how Ohloh estimates the value of open source projects. For instance, here’s their take on the Magma MUD codebase: I believe Envy is just over 100k lines of code. At the average developer salary of $91,000/year, about $1 million in “value” was created by the Basternae II rebuild team. Value that, due to […]
Sniktiorg, one of the most creative and prolific zone creators in the world of MUDs, has granted Basternae 3 permission to use his areas. Woohoo! I’ll attach them as I get them converted to the new format and figure out where in the world they should go.
With .NET’s XML serialization, it kills newlines when you serialize XML to disk. More specifically, it converts a CR+LF into just an LF (\r\n becomes just \n). This was causing annoyances with the spell editor, since you can edit source code for spells with it, but the code would appear all on one line after […]
I fixed a few more glitches, and the MUD seems to be a lot more stable. Bang on it, see if you can break it! First one to crash the MUD gets a cookie.
Something went horribly wrong with the communication code, so logging in wasn’t possible for a few days. All is well now.
The Magma MUD codebase, last updated in 2008, is now on Github: https://github.com/Xangis/magma I’ve cleaned up the build a little bit, but it’s still the same old Magma that was used to start Basternae 2, warts and all. If you feel like cleaning up any bugs (there are plenty) or adding any improvements, go ahead. […]
I’ve released version 0.24 of the Basternae Client. Use the download link on the right side of the blog or on the basternae.org front page to get it. This release mainly has cosmetic changes: Changed the font for most things from Segoe UI to Verdana. It just looks better. Added “show group” and “show equipment” […]
For a few years I ran findmud.com. It was mainly an exercise in customizing Drupal, but there was no real need for it. The Mud Connector filled the mud listing and community need quite nicely. FindMUD is gone now. It was time that it was put out to pasture. It was fun while it lasted.
John Baker, a friend of mine for a long while, did some work creating graphics tiles for me. It was intended for use in two old-style RPG projects I’m gradually working on. I’m sure you’ll hear about them later as they develop. Neat thing is, they were designed with both those projects and the Basternae […]
Much of my not-at-work development time has been spent on webOS lately. The TouchPad and webOS version 3.x are great fun to work with and the only mobile devices that have APIs that don’t suck to develop for (I’ve worked with Android, iOS, and Win7 and none of them are fun from a C++ developer’s […]
I’ve pushed another update to the Basternae client today, version 0.23. Download is available on the sidebar, as always. Here’s what’s changed: Alias support has been added. Usage is #alias <keyword> <text that replaces the keyword>. Aliases are saved when you click File -> Save Settings and loaded at startup. Rendering of surface map sections […]
It took a while, but I have the road tile changes done and in place. In addition, the surface map shows markers for the following zones that were attached but didn’t have markers: Autumnglen (Centaur Hometown) Court of the Muse Sarmiz’Duul The Minotaur Stronghold The Ice Tunnel Shaft The client still has a few map […]
Basternae Client version 0.22 is available now, with the following improvements: All map tiles supported now. Anything before version 0.22 will look stupid on the overland map. Better starting window positions — they don’t pile on top of each other now. Hotkeys can be saved with File -> Save Settings. You can control whether the […]
In the process or editing roads on the surface map to set each section of road to the right tile (east-west, corner pieces, t-intersections, etc.) I found that the editor needed some updates to accommodate the tile system. I’ve released version 0.57 of the editor today, with map terrain editing (not useful for regular zone […]
The first download, version 0.21 of the new WPF-based Basternae Client is now available for Windows. Check the right sidebar for a download link. I can post a version that will run via Mono on Linux or MacOS if anyone wants it. It’s still needs a lot of work, but at least it exits properly […]