Category Archives: Issues and Bugfixes

Issues and bugfixes for the Basternae/ModernMUD code.

A Help Desk?

I’ve written what is essentially an online help desk system for the MUD to keep track of bugs, ideas, and typos. I’m sure it’ll need to be adjusted with use, but at least now the immortals should be better able to keep track of where the problems are and what needs to be done with them.

Fixing Communication Routines

So I ran into a few glitches and buffer problems in the communication routines. I rewrote a few functions, simplifying them in the process, and things are a lot smoother now. At the very least they should be more stable than communications on Basternae 2.

The character creation process has a handful of glitches to work out. I’ll probably do that before I take on area loading, which will be the largest of the data format conversion projects.

Combat Bug Fixed

It was far easier to fix than I had expected.

Here’s what I was doing:

std::list<CharData *>::iterator it;
CharData * wch;
for( it = CharList.begin(); it != CharList.end(); )
wch = *it;
<stuff happens to wch here, and during combat wch could potentially be killed and deleted>

When there was a death in combat, the iterator would get corrupted, because in the destructor for CharData an iterator would remove the CharData from the CharList, corrupting the iterator in the violence update. Due to the chain of function calls between the violence update and where the CharData was actually deleted, there was no way to update the original iterator or do any sort of “safe” removal.

After tinkering around a bit, reading some message boards, it turns out that using a second iterator saves me. One of the iterators is incremented safely, the other damaged/destroyed, and things move on happily because we’re not referencing the broken iterator.

std::list<CharData *>::iterator it;
std::list<CharData *>::iterator jt;
for( it = CharList.begin(); it != CharList.end(); )
jt = it++;
ch = *jt;
<dangerous deletion stuff happens here>

Pretty strange, but it works.

Plenty To Fix

I’ve ran some testing of this new rewrite-in-progress.

As expected, there were a few problems with some of the string functions. Those were easy enough to fix.

But, it’s now time to break out valgrind, because there are a few things that need some re-engineering and I need to see exactly how they’re broken. One thing that might take some work is a problem that happens if a character gets deleted in combat.

The violence updates iterate through a std::list. Each character in that list gets to take their swings at another character. If that target character dies, but is due to take some swings later in the list, the list gets borked because it has no way of knowing that that character was actually killed, deleted, and removed from the list (because that happens elsewhere in the program).

Since this is a combat-based game, fixing that is not optional.

I’m not sure whether it’ll take returning “hey that guy’s dead” info, or whether it’ll be a complete rewrite of combat updates, but I’m sure I’ll figure it out. I recall dealing with deaths at odd points in the code was always a hassle with Basternae 2, so rather than put a band-aid on it, I’d like to come up with a universal solution that works everywhere in the code.