Year: 2021

Smarthost.net: Ultimately Just a Waste of Time

Smarthost.net has some nice “storage server” deals with some very configurable options. If you want a VPS with 1TB of disk space, their offerings are pretty attractive. For my search engine, I need hosting with a good chunk of disk space in order to hold the index. It doesn’t need to be fast storage, and

New Web Browser: Scleroglossa

For quite a while I’ve wanted to build a web browser based on the Gecko engine by Mozilla, which is what powers Firefox. Until recently I never had the right combination of time and motivation to dig in. Well, now that I have, here’s the result – the Scleroglossa browser for Windows. It’s available for

Cleaner URLs Without Tracking Nonsense

Have you ever seen a link with a bunch of extra stuff on it? Facebook URLS with “fbclid=<big string of letters” or links with a bunch of “utm_medium=<whatever>” or those horrendously long product links you get from Amazon? They’re used for tracking behavior, and handy for people getting marketing and attribution data. If you don’t

I Don’t Care About Cookies

I’m tired of websites showing me cookie warnings that I have to click through to remove some sort of overlay that obscures some portion of the site. I have not nor will I ever care about cookies. They’re a built-in part of the browser that should just work invisibly, and they’re an important part of

Galaksion Didn’t Work For Me

I’ve removed Galaksion from the add networks being used on my site. It’s a shame that I had to, because I had a generally good feeling about them. I liked their website, their publisher dashboard, and how easy it was to sign up and set up my site to use them. Their ad fill rate

Adsterra Didn’t Work For Me

I noticed that pages on my site would hang for a WHILE, so I did some investigation. It turns out that the Adsterra JavaScript code was loading https://www.gatetodisplaycontent.com/7cb8fde86d9eb121ba106553cdc48d1a/invoke.js which would take more than a minute to finish (1.1 minutes according to the browser’s developer tools). It was a blocking call, so my site would not

Adsaro Didn’t Work For Me

I’m not sure that Adsaro even works. In the past few days I’ve had zero impressions. Maybe I set up their JavaScript block wrong, but the fact that pages on their site take an eternity to load makes me think it’s them, not me. Adsterra, Bidvertiser, Galaksion, and RevenueHits are still in the running.

Media.net Didn’t Work For Me

I received a message that my site was disapproved today, so they’re the first ones to fail out of my newest ad network comparison experiment. Looking closer at their policies I see this (bold added by me): “Our program has been designed for sites with premium content. Sites that promote, contain, or link directly to

New Site Advertising Experiment

I’m trying another round of ad network experiments. These are the 6 companies I’m trying out: Asdaro Adsterra Bidvertiser Galaksion Media.net RevenueHits I might also add Adcash to the mix if I can get their site verification to work – I signed up but was unable to verify my site because their system was unable

Windows Software by Lambda Centauri

I’ve written a lot of apps for Windows (and other) PCs. Originally I published everything as Zeta Centauri, but it was a weird combination of audio apps and utilities that didn’t mesh well with audio apps (calculators, word processing, image viewer, browser). I’ve launched a new website for the utility apps to keep them separate