Monthly Archives: July 2007

Crawling Along

Ever-so-slight progress this weekend – only 77 squished, making the total 14,810.

Spatula? No Thanks.

The errors count is now down to 14,887. The more time I spend with C# the more I develop a pure loathing for raw C. Programming with C is like trying to chop down a tree with a spatula. Sure, you could probably manage to get your way through the tree, but it’s going to […]

JetBrains ReSharper

I just finished a trial of JetBrains ReSharper 3.0, an add-on for Visual Studio 2005 designed for code analysis and refactoring. ReSharper’s main feature is automatic code analysis. When you open a code file, it will scan for and higlight errors in your code and show an error count and error locations on the sidebar. […]

Today’s Update

Just a few minor fixes for today. The error count is now down to 15,785.

A Simple Solution

This may only be a temporary solution until I find a better way, but for now we just number skills and spells in the constructor based on a reference count (static int _numSpells), essentially like this: Spell() { SpellNumber = _numSpells; ++_numSpells; } This insures that nobody will get a duplicate and is a simple […]

Just A Little

Small change in numbers: We’re now at 17,270 errors. One of the problems I have to solve is to find a clean way to create global references to specific spells and skills without them actually being globals (which are ugly and disgusting and a horrible thing to put in code). For example, in C, we […]

A Productive Day

The error count is now down below 20,000. Quite a bit, in fact. We’re now at 17,719. This puts us at about 4500 for the day. A large portion of the vanquished errors were just array initialization fixes — converting from C-style to C#-style, which is quite different. I can’t give a definite date, but […]

Overriding the NOT (!) Operator

One thing commonly seen in C and C++ code is use of the NOT operator to check whether a struct or class pointer is set to NULL. For instance: class value = NULL; if( !value ) { printf( “value is null” ); } In C# code this results in an error because the compiler has […]

Visual Studio Becomes More Responsive

I mentioned in an earlier post that Visual Studio 2005 was gradually becoming more responsive as the error count decreased. On my system, which is a Pentium D 2.66 GHz with 1GB of RAM, it starts becoming usable again at about 22,000 errors (we’re at 22,267 now).  That’s where the “type-a-character-and-wait” transitions into using the […]

No Real Progress

Soooo… here’s my list of excuses: 1. I started a new job Monday (writing home automation software used to control lights, stereos, alarm systems, etc.) 2. I got married over the weekend. 3. I’m just plain tired right now. So, not much progress in the past few days. The bug count is sitting at 22,677 […]

A Little Progress

We’re down to 22,906 errors now. The errors are getting a little harder to smash, but we’re crushing them into tiny little bits nonetheless.

VS2005 Regular Expression Search Rules!

One of the things I had to do to eliminate a few thousand bugs as part of this C++ to C# conversion is replace the text transmission functions. Nevermind how they work internally, the important thing for the sake of the current conversion is that they look completely different. The old functions looked something like: […]

Skwish Skwish Skwish Go The Bugs

Now we’re down to 30,975. Nothing interesting is happening, but we’re making progress. Most of these errors are related to one of four things: 1) References to functions moved into classes have to be changed. 2) Pointer-based functions and comparisons that need to be rewritten to be reference-based. 3) Public vs. private data. 4) Different […]