So I ran into a few glitches and buffer problems in the communication routines. I rewrote a few functions, simplifying them in the process, and things are a lot smoother now. At the very least they should be more stable than communications on Basternae 2. The character creation process has a handful of glitches to […]
The original intent from the beginning was to make the C# version of Basternae run on both Windows and Linux, giving me more flexibility in choosing hosting. I figured it’d be a week or two of coding workarounds when it finally came time to do the porting. I loaded the code on an Ubuntu 7.10 […]
Class files have been converted to XML. It was a lot less work than the race files.
In the old days of MUDs it became a rather common occurrence to use each bit of a 32-bit integer as a binary flag to set or unset a value. This was far more efficient than using an array of 32 boolean values because the integer consumed 4 bytes, while an array of 32 booleans […]
I spent quite a lot of time manually converting the race files to XML. The file format didn’t lend itself well to automatic conversion, nor was much of it an easy search-and-replace setup. Some of the values were strings of flags, some integers, some full sentences, without much consistency. It wasn’t fast and it wasn’t […]
During a trip this Thanksgiving I updated the Magma codebase a little. All I really did was fix a few compile errors that have come up in the past seven years due to changes with the C language and compilers — it’s otherwise the same code. There’s a solution file that builds in Visual Studio […]
After spending a while shopping around it looks like I’ve found the place to put a Basternae server when the time comes for on-line testing: Slicehost (http://www.slicehost.com) Their virtual private server (VPS) hosting starts at $20 a month and is easy to upgrade. I don’t want to spend much since MUDs typically don’t generate any […]
There are now no more compile errors. It took just under 5 months to fix 75,000+ errors, giving me a fix rate of 15,000 per month (500 a day). Not bad for something I only worked on in my spare time on a “as I feel like it” basis. After the compile errors were squashed, […]
I’ve been working on the code the whole day. The compile error count is now down to 6. The trouble is that each of these six remaining errors will be extremely painful to fix.
The compile error count is now 297, with gains mainly due to date and time function rewrites. Even though there were a lot of changes involved in the conversion, dealing with a System.TimeSpan and a System.DateTime is far more pleasant than the ugly and annoying integer math involved in C-style dates. To get the number […]
The compile error count is now down to 358.
The compile error count is now down to 446.
The compile error count is now down to 486. Most of the network communications code has been rewritten. TCP/IP programming in C# is much like it is in C, but WAAAAY smoother — none of those ridiculous sizeof(sockaddr_in) parameters, etc.
The compile error count is now down to 614.
Most of today’s coding involved rewriting string functions. The error count is now down to 834, with every gain a battle.
Every once in a while, a non-programmer interested in game programming will ask me where they should start learning. They’ll usually know that most modern programming languages are derived from or related to C and that most games are developed in C++, so the first question I hear will usually be: Should I learn C […]
I spent pretty much the whole day working on the codebase. Every error clobbered is becoming a pretty hard-fought battle. Even so, I seem to be winning. Of course, after the errors are done, that doesn’t mean the work is over — far from it. The error count is now down to 949.
Most of the saving and loading of MUD data in Basterne 2 was handled by low-level C functions that used a custom text file format for each data type. That is just a bad idea. Save and load functions were typically dozens or hundreds of lines of code with lots of room for error and […]
The compile error count is now down to 1,900. It feels like there will be a running codebase relatively soon.
Today I replaced the old-school C-style logging routines with new C# code based on the System.Diagnostics.TraceListener class.Â That may not mean much to you, but trust me — logging is way better now. The compile error count is now down to 2,205.