I’ve removed Galaksion from the add networks being used on my site.
It’s a shame that I had to, because I had a generally good feeling about them. I liked their website, their publisher dashboard, and how easy it was to sign up and set up my site to use them.
Their ad fill rate was not great, but I don’t expect that of a new site that hasn’t been sent much traffic yet. The ads that did fill at least had a non-zero CPM rate.
But there’s one thing that happened that I can’t live with.
While testing some updates to my site I clicked on a text box to edit some details. A new tab automatically opened to some ad-based destination. I did not click on an ad to get there. I might have inaccurately attributed an auto-navigation to AdsTerra a few days ago, but they would have been removed anyway due to their slow script and poor reputation and I don’t care to do the research to figure out which of the two was the real culprit in that particular malvertising navigation (that was probably AdsTerra, I’m just not 100% confident).
Anything that will clickjack or hinder my site’s functionality is not welcome, so they’ve been removed from the rotation. Now we’re down to just RevenueHits and Bidvertiser.
I really wish this process involved me removing providers because I didn’t earn as much with them rather than dealing with technical issues that break my site. How is above-ground malvertising and clickjacking even still a thing in 2020? I should have to scour the dark web to find ad networks that behave that way.
I noticed that pages on my site would hang for a WHILE, so I did some investigation.
Since breaking my site is unacceptable, Adsterra has been kicked out of the rotation.
That extremely long load time might also explain the terrible fill rate.
Bidvertiser served 3 times as many impressions on the same site over the same time period and did not prevent my site from loading.
I also noticed some weird behavior and could not easily figure out which script was causing it. Once in a while when I would click in a text box, a new tab would open to product.directredirection.com with a spammy malware site that was trying to trick me into installing a Chrome extension.
More investigation revealed that Adsterra has been known to serve malvertising in the past:
Now it’s down to Bidvertiser, Galaksion, and RevenueHits.
Adsterra, Bidvertiser, Galaksion, and RevenueHits are still in the running.
I received a message that my site was disapproved today, so they’re the first ones to fail out of my newest ad network comparison experiment.
Looking closer at their policies I see this (bold added by me):
“Our program has been designed for sites with premium content. Sites that promote, contain, or link directly to the following types of content shall not be approved.
- Adult, Pornographic or any illegal content
- Tobacco, alcohol, ammunition, hazardous substances, illegal drugs, gore, violence, gambling and racism content
- Pages containing profanity or content that and/or discriminates or is offensive to any section of people
- Hate, violence, racial intolerance, or advocate against any individual, group, or organization
- Sale of prescription drugs
- Sale of counterfeit products, imitations of designer or other goods, stolen items or any products that infringe intellectual property rights of other parties
- Contain programs which promote invalid click activity by paying users to clicking on ads, browse websites, read email etc.
- Websites that contain forums, discussion boards, chat rooms, or any content area that is open to public updates without adequate moderation
- Sites with content that has been generated using computer programs and hence may not be comprehendible.
- Bulk of the content is user-generated
- Sites with fake news
- Any other content that we believe in our sole discretion to be illegal”
So their network is ABSOLUTELY incompatible with a search engine since it links to everything on that list.
Still in the running are Adsaro, Adsterra, Bidvertiser, Galaksion, and RevenueHits.
I’m trying another round of ad network experiments. These are the 6 companies I’m trying out:
I might also add Adcash to the mix if I can get their site verification to work – I signed up but was unable to verify my site because their system was unable to access the website (I’ll assume someone pushed some broken code before the new year).
I have a randomizer in my site template that picks a random ad provider on each page load. It should distribute the traffic roughly evenly among them and as I get data and experience how each company impacts my site, I’ll eliminate the ones that aren’t right for me.
Adsaro, Galaksion, and Media.net are all completely new to me.
I tried RevenueHits before and it it made the experience on my site pretty terrible and glitchy. I’m giving them another chance, but they’ll be the first to be cut out if I find anything annoying going on.
I tried Adsterra before and it worked OK, but earned effectively nothing. I’m giving them another chance since it’s been a couple years and things might work better.
I’ve used Bidvertiser and they were the ad provider that was on the last version of WbSrch the longest. I didn’t have any significant income through them, but their ads were the least intrusive and managed to not be annoying at all. I suspect this one will not be the first one to be cut.
I’ve written a lot of apps for Windows (and other) PCs. Originally I published everything as Zeta Centauri, but it was a weird combination of audio apps and utilities that didn’t mesh well with audio apps (calculators, word processing, image viewer, browser). I’ve launched a new website for the utility apps to keep them separate from the audio apps.
Check it out here: https://lambdacentauri.com