Category Archives: Client

Building The Client On Linux

It’s been 3 years since I’ve tried to build the client on Linux. I started building the client long before there ever was a Basternae 3 project, and since then plenty of files have been added and removed — for instance, we no longer use Xerces-C or SDL in the project.  I was using Ubuntu […]

First Release of the Basternae 3 Client (v0.11)

You should be able to tell from the version number that it’s far from done yet. I spent some time working on the status window, and it now appears to work more-or-less as intended: There are a handful of issues I know about, and probably a good solid handful that I don’t know about, so […]

Some Solid Client Progress

Over the past two days I’ve made some good progress on the client.  It’s now working with colored text and functioning scrollback.  There was a bit of difficulty in figuring out how to post text from the network thread to the main window, but that’s been solved thanks to the helpful folks at the wxWidgets […]

wxWidgets Client Resurrected

As I mentioned in my post yesterday, not being able to support scrollback with the client was a problem in the wxWidgets-based version. This is because it used the Simple DirectMedia Layer (SDL) for the text rendering, and that just has a 2-D panel that text can be rendered to. Adding scrollback to that kind […]

New Release: Zeta Telnet Version 3

One of the first things I wrote when I was learning C# was a basic telnet client. It’s not like the world needed another telnet client, but it was a fun, easy project to learn the .NET socket libraries. In the process of working on bug reports for Basternae 3, I found something annoying: Windows […]

Basternae 3 Test Port Currently Running

I have a test port of Basternae 3 running on basternae.org port 4502.  This is only temporary for the purpose of testing. Here’s a list of things that need to be tested.  Feel free to spend as little as 1 minute testing, or as long as the server is up.  I only plan to have […]

The New Client In Action

In working on the new WPF-based client, I’ve redone the way I handle ANSI character code processing. Instead of a horrible multi-hundred-line nested if-statement-monster, I’ve created something based on regular expressions that is about 25 lines or so of code. It’s not absolutely perfect, but it’s already better than what we had with the wxWidgets […]

The New Client So Far

It’s just screenshots of windows without anything in them — no fancy colors, images, or any bells and whistles yet.  This is just to show that it really exists:

C++ Is a Pain in the Arse (New Client)

Yesterday I opened up the source code for the Basternae Client in order to make a few changes, fixes, and updates.  What I had forgotten in the two years since I had been programming C++ actively is what a pain in the behind it is to get anything done in C++. Sure, you can do […]

Back From Vacation

OK, so maybe I didn’t announce the vacation in the first place, but I took some time off from working on Bast to enjoy the summer. I’ve been working on the client a bit, and I had almost forgotten how much I dislike C++.  It’s just so messy and inefficient to work with.  You have […]

Client Progress

Most of the development for the past few days has been on the client application. Here’s a screenshot giving an idea of what it looks like so far. It’s quite a bit different from what it looked like a few months ago: Click on the image for a larger version. It obviously needs more work, […]

A Custom Client

I don’t believe I’ve mentioned it here yet, but around 2005-2007 wrote a custom MUD client using wxWidgets and SDL. It runs fairly well on Windows and tolerably on Linux (there are one or two glitches). I designed it to work with Duris and its prompt system. It shows maps for a zone if they’re […]