Month: March 2010

More Zones Connected

I’ve converted and connected “The Cavern of the Worms” by Zaeru, “Fairlocke” by Lortar, and “The Elemental Plane of Air” by Lortar.  There are a few more zones that will be ready connect as soon as I can improve the zone converter to handle them.  Dang cobbled-together thing chokes for the silliest of reasons.

More Spells Are Working Now

25 more spells are working today, mostly defensive beneficial sorcerer and cleric spells like ‘fly’, ‘invisibility’, and ‘protection from fire’.  There are quite a lot more to work on, but it’s good progress.

What MUDs Have The Best AI?

Most MUDs have mobiles of very limited intelligence that stand around waiting to be killed and often don’t even bother to remember that you attacked them ten seconds ago.  Some games have more intelligent creatures that actively try to defend themselves and take down the enemy by the most effective means (always fireballing trolls, dispelling

Offensive Spells

I finished up more of the new spell engine and damage spells can be used now.  I’ve only tested magic missile so far, but it worked beautifully. 😛

Changes to Affect Modifiers

Handling a skill or spell with multiple modifiers in code has always been a bit of a nuisance.  I changed that around a bit so that they work they way I want them to. So, here’s what adding three effects looked like in code beforehand: Affect af = new Affect( Affect.AffectType.spell, spell.Name, 12 + level

The Spell Engine

I finally got the spell ‘plugin’ system to work as intended for the first externally-coded spell. Each spell is stored in an XML file outside the MUD engine, i.e “Fireball.xml”.  The file has a bunch of settings for the spell like casting time, target type, modifers, etc.  It also has an optional code section for

Starting on a Spell Editor

Since spells are stored in files and not directly in the code, it’ll be a whole lot easier to edit them with an editor than editing data files by hand.  Today I started building an editor.  It’s probably about 1/3 done so far.  Here’s a look-see:

Affect Removal Is Fixed

Looks like I sorted out that nasty little affect removal bug, so onto the next… With this and the previous fix, now would be a great time to sign on and start testing the heck out of things.  After all, you don’t want me to run out of work to do, do you?  😛

Picking Up Items Bug Fixed

It looks like there was a nasty bug in the zone converter for two of the three format types that we convert that caused the “wear flags” to be mapped into the “extra 2” flags.  The wearable flags include the “carryable” flag, so with those being broken, that’s why things could not be picked up

A New Version of the Zone Editor (0.46)

I spent some time on the zone editor today. Here’s a list of changes and fixes: Justice type is now selectable on the zone settings screen. In walkthrough mode, the ‘help’ and ‘commands’ commands now show a list of the available commands. Various minor text and appearance improvements, including adding a program icon. Added the

Checking Process Status With PHP

I am not a PHP programmer. I do not know PHP. That doesn’t mean I can’t use it. Here’s a snippet I threw together to check whether the MUD process is running: $cmd = “ps u -C ‘mono Basternae.exe'”; exec($cmd, $output, $result); if( count($output) >= 2 ) {   Print $output[0];   Print $output[1]; } else {

A Bunch of Little Fixes

I had a chance to tinker with the code today. I made a bunch of relatively minor fixes (code-wise). Here’s the list: – Fixed game menu consistency so same one appears every time. – Some minor text changes and/or typo fixes. – Made the help editor a little easier to use and added a ‘delete

A Linux Build of the Client

I have no clue how to build a .deb or .rpm package yet, so it’s just a .zip for now. Though I have it working on my own Ubuntu 9 machine, I haven’t the faintest idea whether the client will run on other Linux boxen. At the very least, you’ll probably need to have the

Initial Mac Version of the Client

I fixed the “can’t send text” problem in the client for the Mac and Linux versions.  There are still some text problems that only show up in non-Windows versions, but I was able to log in and play for a bit without much trouble. Though I have it working on my own machine, I haven’t

Another Client Update

I tracked down a nasty threading problem in the status window that would explode things horribly at random intervals. Version 0.14 of the client is now available.  That’s not to say there isn’t the possibility of other horrible explosions lying around just waiting to leap out… so let me know if you find any.